October 2, 2007

“i…”

It is not by mistake that i’ve used small “i” instead of “I” everywhere. It’s been really long since i passed out of school, but i still remember my English teacher, Mr. Ubgade scolding me all the time when i used “i” in any letter or an essay, instead of “I”. “What difference would it really make?”, used to be my standard question, and “this is the standard method” used to be the reply. All the time!!

After some years, a famous and the most circulating news paper made it mandatory that all its reporters and columnists shall use “i” instead of “I” in their articles!! And the reason given was so very parallel to what my reason was!! Obviously, as a school going, naïve child, most of the people do things which fascinate them, rather than really understand in first place. And i was not an exception to it. So i continued this habit of mine much to the displeasure of my teacher.
But later on, as my social group got further evolved, i met so many people who were in their own special way so fascinating, it gave me a direction to sit back and think about what am i really doing..!! There people had achieved so many things in their lives in such a short span. Still they were always hungry for some or the other thing which was still a distant probability for me. Have i lost so much of time? Am i in such a pathetic situation that it cannot be recovered? These were some the questions which were haunting me. But thanks to few close friends of mine, i got the encouragement to do some things which i really like, or i could do in a better manner. (Yes, one more remarkable quality of my dear friends). And like many theories, the reality was always there, but reasoning came later. May be somewhat similar to my case..!!
i am on my way, yes. But no, i have not yet had any whopping glory to boost about (glories, yes, a lot of them.. neither of them fascinates me anymore), nor i am that big a personality whom people can look up to. Yes, there are few (poor) souls who admire me, may be because of my profession. But the time has yet to come, to really consider me as a person, who can be given as an example.
And when that happens, i will use “I” in all my letters and posts and articles…!

2 comments:

Anupama said...

I think what you say makes a lot of sense now that I look at it...the capital (Upper Case) i could be taken as an interpretation of one's ego...else why should that be the only pronoun that is written in Upper Case? Makes me contemplate (although I have used Upper Case so many times in a 5 line comment!). Great post, keep it up...

RADhika said...

thanx anupama.. :)).. 'i' appreciate.. :)