September 16, 2008

To sir... with love!


As i am on a spree on writing about ‘relationship management’, thought of mentioning a thing which i;’ve been thinking about since long now….As long as since i was in college…(which was not THAT long ago!!)

We had a professor, who had a dynamic personality, was an excellent orator, command over the subject as well as language, and to top it all, was exceptionally handsome! Obviously, all the girls in our class were ga-ga over him! We literally used to wait for his classes, even though his classes were scheduled daily! Now you must be thinking, if the girls were so much infatuated by him, the boys apparently would be jealous of him.. but no, in fact, they all were so much impressed by him, that they just wished they would become like him in future!


This happens very rarely that a professor has such an impact over both the groups in the class.. or else many a times it’s a female faculty having a male students following and a dynamic male faculty having a female fan following!

Being a lecturer myself, and that too for a course like MBA, which requires the students to be around for such a long time, where we have constant interaction with students (they being in hundreds in number), we encounter such infatuations every now and then! (let me mention this very clearly that i am not at all considering myself in the league of my professors, because I am not even half way there! But still, what do the students know, right?!?!)

I still ponder sometimes, what is it that makes a professor to be in the ‘list’ of students? Even if the professor is a ‘don’, or a ‘Hitler’ when it comes to conducting the classes? Personality, subject command, or something else?



15 comments:

Ankur said...

I think its the respect which makes u a prof truly!!

I have shared with you that how still when i meet my old student, they greet me with all the warmth they can show, and thats where i felt i did great!!!
I may not be amazing at my subject, but I was able enough to make them realize that I am there, just for them... :)

I think the admiration and the respect is mutual!!!
:)

Cheers!!!

Chakoli said...

:)))


YUp very true :))

a postive impact is not easy to create :))


so Did you ever got a chance to meet him after college?? :PP

neeraj said...

can't name a single quality, but it must be an overall personality impact!

RADhika said...

@ ankur,
yes, exactly... in fact, one of the reasons could be the kind of interaction they have with us...


@ chakoli,
positive impat must surely be there!
and yes, i did meet him at the tim eo fmy convocation! not goign to mention more details now! :D


@ neeraj,
yes, may times it is...

Bhai with Chai said...

umm.. a teacher should be approachable.. but not too friendly.. there need to be a certain amount of respect in the student-teacher relationship..!

main ek lecturer ko ye kya bata ri hun? i feel ishtoopidd!
:D

Bhai with Chai said...

*needs

ceedy said...

I think its "jo saamne hai aur jiske saath itna time beetana hai....to its like a natural reaction - to like that person"...cause if it was more - why dont we go back once college is done...

Anonymous said...

I believe, I will talk not so much about professorship but about teachership.What makes a teacher be on that list !

I think,in the begining it is about the appearance or the tough questions he asks/answers in class.But,after some time its the depth of knowledge and interpersonal skills that do the magic.Respect can not be granted- it has to be earned and he earns it if he deserves to be in that league of extraordinary gentlemen.

Teaching MBA people must be difficult, I guess.Infact teaching anyone is difficult.Cos any fine day someone can stand up in the class and ask you something from that book-of-difficult-problems and all what he will take home will not be your effort to answer your question but the wrong answer.I mean its really challenging.

Teachers could change lives.I have this awesome prof in my department here who is a passout from this colllege only,who is probably the very best I have seen till date.And,he has both the gender adoring him for different reasons-similar to what you talked about in the post.

I would recommend you to watch Dead Poets society- I am sure you will like it.
Needless to say, your post took me back in time :) Thanks for putting this up.

RADhika said...

@ bhai,
hehe, yeah you are true... hey and dont feel stupid, this comment section is there to make you write anything you want..:)

@ceedy,
yes, perhaps this is more of a logical reason, it surely depends on how much one spends time with the teacher...

RADhika said...

@ mishra,
yes, teaching is surely a tough job.. but it is fun you know... and to know your students like you is really a great satisfaction... and that is why perhaps it is even more of a responsibility of a teacher to maintain that distance yet make the student feel comfertable... that part is the toughest, yet certain people do it with ease!

thanks a lot for sch a lovely comment.. welcome here! :)

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

i think one has to b a combination of all!!
just one gud thing doesn really work!!

Ashish said...

u have been tagged kaaku

Anupama said...

You have been tagged :)

Ekta said...

well have heard and seen the teacher student dynamics...but never experienced it myself...so dunno really wat makes it tick?

Ankita Singh said...

I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. Very significant Information for us, I have think the representation of this Information is actually superb one. 
https://bharattaxi.com/